Search This Blog

Thursday, September 27, 2012

Moses Came OUT Late in Life

I've pondered many times the similarities in my life to Moses. He was raised Egyptian, raised to be the leader of a people, only to find out that he was actually the descendent of the most despised people of his nation: He was a Jew.

What did he do? He came to terms with who he was and joined his people. He experienced anger at the oppression he saw for the first time, and he resorted to violence. He was cast out of his country, had to pull himself together, and went back to face his destiny.

So, what do we have in common? Moses embraced who he was and did not try to hide it. As an Egyptian prince, he was not raised to hide anything. He was it, the center of attention and respect. There was nothing about him that said he SHOULD hide anything. After he came OUT as a Jew, that didn't change. He embraced who he was.

I spent the first 40 years of my life as a heterosexual. I was not a closet heterosexual, was not expected to hide anything. I was in the "in" crowd, so to speak - as uncomfortable as it was. Now that I have finally come to terms with who I am as a bisexual woman, I am the same. I have never had any reason to hide my sexual orientation, so why should I start now. I embrace who I am, and have no intentions of going into a closet that I am completely unfamiliar with just because others are wanting to ignore the rainbow elephant in the room.

And I guess I am a bit of a rainbow elephant. I missed all the normal flirting and dating and intro relationships because I was a fish out of water. I was unaware of men who were interested, only dated people I knew well, hated being hit on, and eventually married people I considered my best friends.

Now that I know why I wasn't behaving "normally," I am trying to catch up on all those years I missed as a teen and twenty-something doing those things that teens and twenty-somethings do "normally": flirt and date and have intro relationships to the "real thing".

So please, if you meet me, or someone like me, please try to remember: Moses came out late in life and didn't actually take hold of his destiny until he was 80. I'm a forty-something trying to embrace mine. I'm not going in the closet to make you or anyone else happy. And if you happen to be the female I am flirting with, please take it in stride - whether or not you are straight or gay or bisexual - you are getting well deserved attention, and I am making up for lost time. Men hitting on women has been the norm on our society. It happens all the time everywhere (I) go. Women hitting on women is only odd because it is not the current norm except in closet circles.

I mean no harm, have a sense of humor, and simply want to enjoy life as I was created. I love women, think they are incredible, and want to let as many as possible know how much they are appreciated and respected. So please, if I flirt with you, know that you have made my day.






No comments:

Post a Comment