Search This Blog

Saturday, October 22, 2011

Coming Out and Being Me

Coming out later in life is a challenge to say the least. Jesus, I have kids who are grown and trying to figure out what the hell I am doing. Just going about my business and being me - for the first time. Well, kinda. I have always been "ballsy," as my mother would say, strong willed, and independent. But, this is different.

These days I acknowledge my preference - for women - without burying my attraction, ignoring it, or forcing it into my subconscious. Wow. This is living perfectly - which incidentally means living "wholly." Perfect - whole - complete.

I have had the privilege of living both as a heterosexual and homosexual - because I am bisexual. I have lived most of my life as a heterosexual, so I have heard all the comments, views, religious perspectives, politics, etc ... from this view. As a heterosexual, I didn't necessarily agree.

I didn't and don't agree that being Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, or Transgender is a "CHOICE," or a demonic spirit, or a sickness. I have always had friends of all sexual preferences and gender orientations, and had a special compassion for kids trying to deal with this in school. They know who they are at a very young age - for the most part - and try desperately to live in an unforgiving, uneducated, superstitious society.

It is better for this young generation because there has been more political exposure and media acceptance of the LGBT community. Religious institutions have been slow to catch on, and the conservative Christian right is still living in the stone ages. I am Episcopalian - an educated Christian who loves Christ more than anyone on the planet - guaranteed:)

Social media has opened the door for conversations and communication and given all people an opportunity to express themselves. This is a very lucky generation. There is so much open internet space, I have a hard time believing closets still exist. Where at one time not that long ago (just prior to 1993 - the dawn of the internet) you only knew about people and their "idiosyncrasies" if they lived near you or in your home town. Through social media we know now that LGBT people are everywhere all over the globe, and mostly in our hometowns. WE ARE OUT!!! :D (insert big cheesy grin) and it feels so good to be out.

Finally, I can reach my full potential because I am not forcing me down. If you force part of you down, you force all of you down. Only by being yourself, or me being myself, will you or I live fully. You can't live to please anyone because there will always be somebody you can't please. So be your self, and let the perfect creation God created in you fulfill its complete potential.

No comments:

Post a Comment